Privacy & Cookies Policy
The World Expeditions Travel Group respects your privacy.
The protection of your personal information is very important to us and we believe that you should know how we use it at all times. Our commitment to ensuring the privacy and security of your information is set out below.
References made to the World Expeditions Travel Group (WETG) refer to our various brands and divisions that you may deal with, including Walkers' Britain, Sherpa Expeditions, Sherpa Van, World Expeditions, UTracks, Tasmanian Expeditions, Australian Walking Holidays, World Youth Adventures, Adventure South NZ, Trail Journeys, Huma Charity Challenge, the Blue Mountains Adventure Company, Great Canadian Trails (and more). For more information on our brands visit worldexpeditionstravelgroup.com.
What personally identifiable information do we collect?
Depending on how you choose to interact with any of the WETG of companies, we collect personally identifiable information to allow us to provide our services as requested. Such information includes:
1. Your name, address, date of birth, gender, email address, telephone numbers, postal address, medical and dietary information, passport details, travel insurance details and previous outdoor experience.
2. Details of previous trips or events you have attended or enquired about.
3. Information provided through our customer surveys.
4. Your travel preferences and other details from your online interactions with us, including your use of our systems and services such as our website and/or social media pages, IP addresses
5. Any additional information collected and provided by your travel agent or other third party websites you may book our trips through.
How do we collect your Personal Information?
When making an enquiry or booking a trip we hold certain information so that we can transact your request.
You may supply your information when making an enquiry on our website, sending us a direct email, providing information over the phone, interacting with our social media channels, subscribing to competitions on our website, our various social media channels, or at third party events, through market research, or by supplying your information to a travel agent or online affiliate who you utilise. We update your information where possible to ensure we fulfil your requests accurately.
How do we use your Personal Information?
Walkers' Britain collects and uses your personal information to ensure we can fulfill your requests and to provide a more personalised experience. This can include:
- Providing the relevant requested trip information either online or through the post.
- Registering you for an information evening or special event.
- Providing trip documentation once booked either online or through the post.
- To fulfil your booking by updating our local operators and partners with personal information such as medical or dietary information so they can operate the trip safely, providing information to local authorities to secure relevant permits required for your trip, or liaising with insurers or your emergency contacts in case of an emergency.
- Where you have requested us to book airline services or additional pre or post tour services, we will provide your full name, date of birth and when it is required, your passport details, to providers of these services.
We may also use your information to market relevant products and events that we believe you may be interested in by way of:
- Sending tailored emails or postal communication (which you can always opt-out of).
- Remarketing ads on social media or the wider internet.
Who do we share your information with?
Sharing your information is required to fulfill your booking or enquiry.
- We do not sell or trade any of your personal information collected.
- We will only share your information with overseas suppliers who require it to fulfil your booking. We have no control over how these suppliers hold or utilise your personal information.
- We will be required to share your information with overseas local authorities in order to obtain relevant permits that are required to fulfil your booking.
- We may operate competitions from time to time where you will be asked if you are happy to share your information with a third party partner. That third party will be clearly identified on the competition material. In such cases, if you give clear consent for your information to be shared we will do so.
- We may share information with external market research companies for research purposes only. They will not be authorised to hold your information for any other purpose.
Your choice to 'opt out' is respected
If you have opted to receive enewsletter communications from us and at a later stage change your mind, you may at anytime remove yourself from that email distribution list by;
- Clicking the ‘unsubscribe’ link at the bottom of every email,
- Or by forwarding the email you received to the company email address advertised at the bottom of the email you received.
Links to other websites
Correct and up-to-date information
If you would like to verify or change the data we have received from you, please contact the Walkers' Britain office. Please note that you will need to verify your identity before we can disclose the information we hold.
You have the right to ask us not to process your personal identifiable data for marketing purposes. We will inform you before collecting your personal identifiable data if we intend to use this data for such purposes. To exercise your right, send an email to [email protected]
Walkers' Britain provides a safe and secure e-commerce environment. We protect the security of your credit card data with the following measures:
- We do not store your credit card details on any of our servers.
- We use PCI compliant payment gateways to provide a secure, encrypted environment for the authorisation of credit card and charge card transactions between your browser and our financial institution.
If you have a complaint regarding our practices and believe your privacy has been compromised or breached you must direct your complaint in writing to us.
The WETG websites use "cookies" to help you personalise your online experience and communications from us. One of the primary purposes of cookies is convenience features to save you time. You have the ability to accept or decline cookies.
What are Cookies
A cookie is a small text file that is placed on your hard disk via your web browser by the website or web page you visit. The file is stored in your web browser and allows our website or a third party to recognise you with next visits to make these next visits easier and the website more useful to you.
Cookies cannot be used to run programs or deliver viruses to your computer. Cookies are uniquely assigned to you and can only be read by a web server in the domain (website) that issued the cookie to you.
Cookies can be ‘persistent’ or ‘session’ cookies. Persistent cookies remain in your browser until you remove them, session cookies only last for the duration of your website session.
Cookies help collect anonymous information
Session cookies: These are used to maintain our link to you as you move throughout the site. These cookies are automatically cleared when you close your browser. They are also used to identify if you have logged in and to maintain that login.
Permanent cookies: We do not currently use permanent or persistent cookies, however third party services that we use may set cookies that persist after closing the browser. Examples of those services include but are not limited to Google, Youtube, Facebook, Yahoo, Instagram, Twitter, LinkedIn, AddThis, Adroll etc. These are almost exclusively for online advertising.
Third party cookies: A third-party cookie is one that is placed on a user's hard disk by a website from a domain other than the one a user is visiting. We do not use third party cookies at all and suggest that you consider disabling them in your browser.
Refusing or disabling cookies
You will be able to navigate our site without cookies enabled. You will also be able to book trips and submit forms, however you will not be able to log in to view and manage your account.
Learn more about Facebook's cookies.
Please note, however, that if you delete cookies or refuse to accept them, you might not be able to use all of the features we offer, you may not be able to store your preferences, and some of our pages might not display properly.
If you have accepted a cookie from a site and later wish to remove it, you can click here to learn how to do this. Warning: depending on the process followed, removing cookies may remove all cookies from all sites ever visited which may be an unwanted result.
Find More Information about Cookies
You can learn more about cookies on the ICO (Information Commissioner’s Office) website: https://ico.org.uk/for-the-public/online/cookies/.
About WALKERS' BRITAIN
We are a member of the World Expeditions Travel Group of companies and has its registered office at 1B Osiers Road, London SW18 1NL, United Kingdom. You can reach Walkers' Britain by phone at +44 (0)208875 5070 or email at [email protected].
Walkers' Britain welcomes the European Union’s GDPR (General Data Protection Legislation) and Privacy Amendments (Private Sector) Act 2000 (and the subsequent amendments to this Act) and the 10 Privacy Principles that the Act introduces.
Changes to this Policy
The WETG will occasionally update this Privacy and Cookies Policy to reflect company and customer feedback. The WETG encourages you to periodically review this page to be informed of how the WETG is protecting your information.
Last updated: 12 January 2021